CELEBRATING 100 YEARS TOWARD BETTER HEALTH

The history of Pennsylvania hospitals throughout the last 100 years is rich and full as they worked closely with HAP to improve the health of the people they serve.

centennialbanner

The Arc of History

HAP Centennial 1921-2021

When HAP was founded 100 years ago, its objective was to promote the welfare of the people of the commonwealth, and that remains HAP’s goal today. During the course of 2021 we will reflect on HAP’s tremendous strides and struggles throughout each decade, highlighting milestone moments including the creation of the Quality Care Assessment, advances in our quality improvement, emergency management, advocacy, and research capabilities, the merger with the Delaware Valley Healthcare Council, HAPevolve’s creation, and HAP’s triumphant return to downtown Harrisburg after a multi-decade self-imposed exile to the suburbs. We will use the anniversary as a springboard to amplify thought leadership from hospital leaders and, of course, we’ll reflect upon HAP’s leadership and Pennsylvania hospitals’ response to COVID in our 100th year.

Most important, however, is to use the anniversary to connect the past to our bright future. In fact, the anniversary year logo symbolizes the “arc of history” and our tagline reinforces that we’ve been working “100 years toward better health,” which means we’re not there yet.

Every member of the HAP staff is grateful to be part of this history. HAP is dedicated and committed to representing the hospitals and health systems of the future as they strive to improve the health status of every Pennsylvanian.


HAP Centennial Articles

HAP through the Years: 1970–1980

July 16, 2021

During 2021, The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) proudly marks its centennial with a look back at 100 years of milestones, advocacy, and support for Pennsylvania’s hospitals.

This week, HAP recaps the 1970s, a period marked by the formation of The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania Political Action Committee (HAPAC), dramatic inflation and challenges with cost-containment, and HAP’s expanding role to help hospitals across the commonwealth.

The 1970sQuote from HAP's 1971 Mission Statement

“Be a Nurse” campaign:  During the early 1970s, HAP launched a statewide “Be a Nurse” campaign, recruiting student nurses through posters, newspapers, radio, and television. A 1971 HAP Bulletin indicated the campaign was widely successful, helping the state’s nursing schools fill more than 500 vacancies and reach their enrollment goals. HAP received nearly 11,900 inquiries to its headquarters in response to the campaign.

A period of growth:  As HAP approached its 50th anniversary during 1971, leaders noted the organization’s continued growth, going from 34 charter members to more than 3,000, and from 30 institutional members to more than 300.

Responding to a crisis in malpractice coverage:  Through 1974, Pennsylvania’s hospitals were covered by a group contract by a national insurance company. During 1975, the insurance company abruptly informed HAP’s members that it was canceling coverage. HAP’s Board of Trustees quickly took action, endorsing the creation of the Pennsylvania Hospital Insurance Company (PHICO), which insured more than 190 member hospitals by 1977.

Founding of HAPAC:  During 1976, HAPAC raised more than $31,000 for 116 candidates in the General Assembly in its first full year. HAPAC emerged as HAP and its members realized the growing need for a central voice in Harrisburg and Washington. Throughout the decade, state and federal political leaders decided critical issues to the hospital community, including new payment and delivery models, inflation and cost containment, and the funding of public programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.Former HAP CEO James Neely

A new leader:  James Neely began his tenure as HAP’s CEO during 1972. Neely oversaw a dramatic expansion of HAP’s operations in insurance, legislative advocacy, hospital services, human resources, and information technology, among other areas.

Growing quarters:  With its continued growth, HAP expanded its Camp Hill campus with a 25,000-square-foot addition to the existing facility. The new facility housed HAP and 11 other health care-related organizations and was known as the Health Associations Center.

An enduring mission:  HAP’s updated 1971 mission statement emphasized the association’s enduring aim: “The ultimate purpose of the Association is to bring better health to the people of Pennsylvania,” it read.

Quotable:  Nearing its semicentennial, a HAP historian wrote: “Although 50 years old, (HAP) is a young organization, continuing to grow and to respond with vigor to new challenges and opportunities. Its successes and its expansion are a tribute to its membership which for 50 years has worked tirelessly and fervently for improvement of hospitals for the benefit of all mankind.”

HAP Centennial Timeline

1950s

January 1, 1950

A New Affiliation

HAP affiliated with the American Hospital Association, prompting HAP’s trustees to take a critical look at HAP’s headquarters in the PA Chamber of Commerce building in Harrisburg.


During 1951

Hospital Auxiliaries 

HAP, recognizing the importance of volunteers, played a role in the formation of the Pennsylvania Association of Hospital Auxiliaries. A year later, HAP added a Council on Hospital Auxiliaries to its organizational structure.

August 1952

The Rabbit Hutch

HAP moved to the second floor of the Masonic Building at Third and State Street, however, the sale of the building a short time later resulted in HAP relocating to 610 N. Third Street. The new, unappealing, offices were labeled “a rabbit hutch” by staff.

During 1953

A Realistic Reimbursement

HAP successfully lobbied for an increase in the daily rate of reimbursement by the state to hospitals for inpatient care, taking it from $6.50 to $7 (approximately $68 today).

During 1954

Adequate Aid

HAP, heavily involved in a broad spectrum of hospital interests, still focused its its primary efforts on the state legislature. HAP undertook a public relations program as it intensified its campaign for adequate state aid for hospitals.

July 1955

Another First

The newly HAP-affiliated Pennsylvania Association of Hospital Auxiliaries held a workshop at The Pennsylvania State University. It was the first to be held in the United States.

1940s

During 1940

An Early Response

In response to the threat posed by the widening war in Europe, a massive national defense program by the U.S. was started. HAP immediately participated in the program with the purchase of a $5,000 ($92K today) National Defense Bond.

During 1940

Committee on Preparedness

HAP established a Committee on Preparedness to coordinate with an American Hospital Association committee working on plans for the active participation of hospitals as the nation readied for almost certain entry into World War II.

During 1941

The Legislative Committee

Legislative priorities included: obtaining increased state aid for hospitals; encouraging voluntary participation in the State Medical Care program; and supporting amendments to restore the hospital as “a party in interest” under the Workers’ Compensation Act.

December 7, 1941

War Conference

Marking its 20th anniversary, HAP, along with the rest of the nation, quickly became caught up in war efforts after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. HAP’s annual conference was labeled “War Conference” and focused the personnel shortages.

May 1944

Second War Conference

HAP’s annual conference labeled the “Second War Conference” held at Pittsburgh’s William Penn Hotel focused on public health after the war, and plans for postwar hospital construction and planning.

August 1944

A First

HAP sponsored a public relations institute in State College. It was the first ever sponsored by a state hospital association.

During 1946

The Hill-Burton Act 

The Hill-Burton Act triggered a hospital building boom throughout the nation. Cognizant of the act’s impact, HAP prepared legislative initiatives that would pave the way for participation by PA’s hospitals.

During 1946

The HAP Emblem

Moving to enhance HAP’s growing presence in state affairs, the delegates approved an official HAP emblem; a keystone with an eagle perched on top.

During 1947

Unprecedented Construction

An unprecedented program of hospital facility construction and expansion was underway throughout PA. HAP played a major role in the program, with efforts bringing to the state millions of federal dollars.

During 1947

State-Aid Patient Rate 

HAP successfully lobbied to increase the state aid patient rate from $4 to $5.50 per day (approximately $64 today).

During 1948

Drafting a New Plan

Inconsistent management of hospital expansion became a cause for concern. HAP helped draft a plan for construction and coordination of hospital facilities under the direction of the Department of Welfare.

April 1948

Broadcasting Success

HAP’s growing stature was noted when the annual meeting, held at Philadelphia’s Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, was televised; the first TV broadcast of a hospital association convention.

During 1948

Middle Atlantic Assembly

HAP joined the hospital associations of New York and New Jersey to create the Middle Atlantic Assembly, designed to assist hospitals in improving service, encouraging professional education, and aiding public health education.

1930s

March 4, 1935

State Appropriations to Hospitals

Gov. George Earle provides $1 million in hospital aid after action is demanded to save 71 hospitals in critical financial condition and 17 more that would close without immediate assistance.

November 1, 1936

A Permanent Presence

A growing legislative agenda called for a permanent presence in the state capital, thus establishing HAP’s first Harrisburg office in the Pennsylvania State Chamber of Commerce building, 222 North Third Street.

1920s

December 7, 1921

First Meeting

A few administrators in PA hospitals perceived the advantages of a statewide association, and organized a meeting in Harrisburg. From their aspirations would grow The Hospital Association of Pennsylvania.

May 18, 1922

First Annual Conference

Attended by PA’s prominent health care institutions, meetings dealt with cooperative hospital purchasing and economics, nursing problems, and hospital relations with the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare.

December 3, 1928

Northeastern

A meeting held at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital led to the creation of the Northeastern Section of HAP; the first of what would become four HAP regional councils, each addressing geographic policy issues and concerns.

+