Fact Sheet: HAP’s Music Therapy Collaborative
Support through music therapy the resiliency and well-being of health care workers who are caring for patients through the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
- This program is a partnership between The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) and the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts (PCA). HAP is serving as the lead facilitator
- Hospitals use grant funding through the program to custom design music therapy programs that meet their unique needs. Hospitals participating in the initiative partner with a board certified music therapist to deliver services with a focus on supporting resilience of health care workers most affected by the pandemic
- The PA Music Therapy Task Force served as the review board to evaluate hospitals’ applications and provided funding recommendations
- Five hospitals are participating in the first phase of the project. Two additional phases are planned
Why It’s Important
- The pandemic has taken an enormous toll on health care workers. Many health care workers caring for patients with COVID-19 have reported experiencing long-term exhaustion, depression, and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder
- This contributes to increased burnout and retention challenges for health care, worsening an already-dire crisis for health care staffing and putting additional stress on health care workers
- Music therapy has proven to be an effective tool for health care workers experiencing compassion fatigue and burnout
- Music therapy can promote positive changes in mood, increase a sense of control, lower blood pressure, reduce heart rate, relax muscle tension, and build resiliency. In workplaces, it has been found to help promote well-being and psychological health, manage occupational stress and health risks, and strengthen organizational welfare
This program is supported in part by the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, a state agency funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Topics: Quality Initiatives, Workforce
Revision Date: 11/2/2021
Return to Previous Page