Key Pennie Deadlines are Coming Soon
December 08, 2023
The deadline for Pennsylvanians to select health insurance plans on Pennie for January is coming soon.
Earlier this week, leaders from the state health insurance marketplace urged everyone to take action to ensure they had coverage for the New Year. Pennie officials hosted a press conference to highlight the upcoming deadline and the options available for 2024.
“Any Pennsylvanian without health coverage should visit pennie.com before December 15 to start the new year with peace of mind and protection. If you wait until you need medical care, it will be too late to enroll,” said Pennie Executive Director Devon Trolley.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Deadlines: December 15 is the deadline for coverage that starts on January 1. This year’s open enrollment period closes January 15, unless you experience a qualifying life event, such as losing coverage or a change in your family or household.
- 2024 options: During 2024, the statewide average premium increase is 3.9 percent. Pennsylvania will see a 4.1 percent average increase in the small group market.
- All insurers offering individual market coverage in Pennsylvania's 67 counties will continue to provide plans in 2024.
- Take action: Pennsylvanians who no longer qualify for Medicaid should evaluate their options during open enrollment, as they may qualify for subsidies to significantly reduce or completely eliminate the cost of their coverage.
- Help is available: Nine in 10 enrollees qualify for income-based subsidies to help cover the cost of their coverage and save more than $500 per month.
- Quotable: “Pennie makes sure health plans will financially protect Pennsylvanians in the case of illness or injury,” Trolley said. “Having coverage also means access to a full range of medical services, including care for pre-existing conditions and free preventive screenings and vaccines.”
“We encourage consumers to research and compare plans to find coverage that best fits their needs and provides robust benefits for themselves and their families,” said Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioner Michael Humphreys.
If you need assistance selecting plans, help is available at (844) 844-8040 or online. During open enrollment, Pennie’s Customer Service Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.–7 p.m., and on Saturday from 8 a.m.–1 p.m.