HAP’s Achievement Award Spotlight: Fox Chase Cancer Center
July 10, 2019
Hospitals all throughout Pennsylvania are implementing inspiring initiatives to bring better care to their patients. One facility that is making award-winning progress is Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia was awarded HAP’s 2019 Optimal Operations Award for Reimagining Case Management.
The goal of this initiative was to improve patient and staff satisfaction and reduce readmissions rates by defining roles and responsibilities related to discharge planning and care transition. Their goal also included piloting a new role–the transitional care nurse navigator.
To develop and implement this new role the team at Fox Chase Cancer Center:
- Conducted an analysis of current and new roles, responsibilities, and budgets
- Restructured the existing case management, utilization review, and social services departments, using social services in a more consultative role
- Created the transitional care nurse navigator as the single touchpoint for all discharge related activities, including supporting more care coordination across the entire continuum, as recommended by the Patient Family Advisory Council
- Revised job descriptions, retrained existing staff, and hired and trained new staff
- Used a software solution to support new workflows and realize efficiencies
- Provided secure mobile messaging to improve communications
These coordinated efforts resulted in continued improvement in 30-day readmission rates as well as patient satisfaction scores related to discharge and care transitions.
Congratulations to Fox Chase Cancer Center for reducing readmissions and for its receipt of a 2019 HAP Achievement Award. Learn more about this effort as well as other 2019 award-winning programs at HAP’s website.
Questions about the HAP Achievement Awards may be directed to HAP Member Services at (717) 561-5359.