In response, HAP is working with member hospitals, health systems and other key stakeholders to adopt meaningful policy changes to improve the health care community’s response to the opioid epidemic.
HAP’s key priorities include:
- Preventing new cases of opioid addiction by promoting safe prescribing, and implementing the state’s prescription drug monitoring program
- Treating people who are already addicted by expanding access to treatment and recovery
- Increasing access to life-saving overdose medications
- Focusing care for moms and infants impacted by opioid abuse
- Reducing the supply of opioids in our communities
HAP believes that policymakers must allow for flexibility in addressing this public health crisis. A one-size-fits-all approach does not address the complexity of opioid abuse, but rather the implementation of community specific best practices.